Groote Schuur High School | 90.45 kW | Cape Town, South Africa
Groote Schuur High School was founded in 1959 as a co-educational Afrikaans High School in the leafy suburb of Newlands. The school started with 37 pupils. Over the years, pupil numbers have increased and after the addition of six extra classrooms in 2011, the numbers have grown to 850 learners. The present school building in Palmyra Road, Newlands was inaugurated in June 1964. In 1978 Nassau High School amalgamated with Groote Schuur.
The Groote Schuur High School crest incorporates the lion of Nassau and the gable of Groote Schuur. The history of the school shows a spirit of enterprise, realism and adaptability. In 1991 it became the first public Afrikaans high school in South Africa with a broad admissions policy. Dual medium instruction was phased in from 1994. During this year, a boarding establishment was also built for boys and girls, now named Monorgan House. Since 2011 all tuition at Groote Schuur High School is in English only.